Reflections from CEC Convention 2024: Inspiration and Growth is Key for Professionalism

Welcome back teacher friends! I am glad to be back from my break since mid-March! It seems like it went by fast yet a lot of time has passed. I always share with other educators how important and relevant it is to take breaks, and I want to lead by example. Sure, I missed sharing my thoughts with you, but I am feeling refreshed and energized! 

Last week I journeyed to San Antonio for the 2024 CEC Convention. This was my first time attending and presenting, and it did not disappoint! I was excited to experience a new city, meet all the great people that have appeared on my "Brady Bunch" screens for the past few months, and see as many details of the convention as possible.  

As you’d probably expect, it was the networking and conversations that dominated the learning atmosphere of the convention. I was awe struck by the size of the Expo Hall and how many different vendors were there. I particularly enjoyed meeting vendors from different companies from all over who all have the main goals of supporting students, and their teachers. I was also pleased to see many vendors that were related to the Science of Reading. I was able to speak with several of them and share with them my love for teaching and reading, and hopefully there will be some future collaboration projects in the future! From interactive game boards on the floor, to multi-sensory materials, structured literacy programs and a little fun with CEC Plinko- the Expo floor was the place to be!Walking around the Expo Hall allowed me to pause and reflect on how much I love working with my special education students. I felt reconnected with my profession and the fire inside of me sparked. Seeing and hearing everything around me reminded me why I chose teaching, and why I want to share my love of teaching with everyone. 

If you saw the program with workshop choices, you'd probably ask me how I chose. To be honest, I'm glad a lot of my time was already pre-organized with my DLL Division and Leadership CEC 2.0. Otherwise, I might have spent more time roaming the big halls in circles trying to decide on a workshop since so many of them were excellent choices! Of course I enjoyed the workshops I chose to attend and learned a great deal from my peers. One of the workshops was about structured vocabulary lessons, and I knew it was perfect timing given my practicum. 

All around me the energy was bursting with love for students, and the running theme everyone had was working with students who have learning diversities is a constant reminder that we can overcome obstacles and to always keep a positive outlook. Having high expectations for students is crucial, and the support we provide through differentiated instruction is the path to success! 

My main take-away was this: It is important that we treat ourselves as professionals, and travel to meet other great educators and learn from one another. Educators need time to grow and continue their own professional learning in order to bring the best to their schools, districts, classrooms and of course their students. Honoring and celebrating one another is a key element in maintaining our energy and desire. Organizations such as CEC offer the time, space, resources, and opportunities for educators to work together, meet others, and fuel their skills and passions. I got so much out of my first CEC Convention, but this I know for sure: it certainly won’t be my last!

Thank you CEC 2024 and San Antonio for an amazing week of reflection, growth, learning, and of course inSpiration!

Final thoughts: Keep expanding your PLN and networking with others in different organizations. Keep saving up to try and attend at least one conference so you can keep meeting other teachers who are just as fabulous and inspired as you, and finally, keep pursuing your learning journey as a teacher, and don't let anyone dull that sparkle! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Leadership: A New Opportunity

Through the Telescope

Extra, Extra, Read All About Reading!