The Four "R's" for Teachers

 Welcome back friends! I hope you're feeling excited and energized from your week. If you're not, and you're looking for some inspiration, have no fear, you're in the right place because I have a treat for you this week. As I was thinking about what to share with all of you, I realized I had my idea with me right from the start. Whenever I'm feeling tired, overwhelmed and disorganized, or just need a pick-me-up. I turn to my trusted four "R's." 

This week is a great time to embrace the four “R’s” to help us continue through the new year and work on our challenges and boost our energy. In order to continue to grow as teachers (and leaders!) it’s important to: reflect, reset, reignite, and reframe. Each of these helps us to be in the right mindset to think of where we are in our learning journey, and what our goals are. Each one affects the other and together they can make a difference to us as teachers.

Reflect: Even when we don’t think we are, educators are always reflecting on their practice and how they can improve to help their craft. We know reflection is an opportunity to think creatively what to do differently next time, and what we want to include or take out of our lessons that can make them more engaging and understandable. Our reflection as teachers is the starting point of change for student success. On the other side of this is self-reflection. Where are we with our personal goals? What should we keep or change to help us continue our journey? When we focus on our own personal growth, we not only grow for ourselves as professionals, but in turn, for our students. We've earned this opportunity to treat ourselves to personal time to reflect on our careers. If other professions do it, so can we! Let's pause to think:  What have you been reflecting on? What can you reflect on this week to help you on your learning journey? What changes would you like to make and how can you start making them?

Reset: Once we reflect, we can reset our thinking to include what we are changing and how it will make a positive impact on our practice. Everyone needs to reset at times, and it's nothing to be ashamed of. I can't tell you how often I say "ok, I just need to reset tomorrow and start fresh!" Far too often, we engage with negative self-talk when we feel we didn’t do well, but we rarely give ourselves praise and credit when we do, or when we figure out what we want to do differently and better next time. We need to reset our thinking as a whole in order to reset our work in the classroom. Sometimes taking a break from my work and exercising or cleaning helps me to reset on a personal level so I can be completely focused the next day to work on what I need to catch up on or fix. What are some ways you like to reset? What are some positive phrases you can say to yourself as you reset to help you not engage in focusing on the negative? Now is the time to reset!

Reignite: I’m all about reigniting my flame for teaching whenever I feel a challenge (or two) has drained me. How do you reignite your teaching flame? Perhaps it’s diving into a good book or podcast, looking for new ideas on Pintrest, or joining a group/organization to meet other dedicated educators who share the same passion projects as you. Whatever you choose, remember to always take time to reignite your flame when it gets dim. When your flame shines brightly and stands tall, it has the ability to light the flame of so many others around you. I hear so often from other educators they don't feel like they are leaders. Believing in yourself as a leader is the first step to reignite your passion and inspire others to do the same. Consider leading in small ways, right from where you are. Perhaps you can start a book club or do a presentation to the new teachers at your school. By taking that first step, you'll create the ripple effect of your positive energy and keep the flame lit for yourself and others. It will grow and spread as we all learn from each other. 

Reframe: Finally, I’ve learned from a great mentor (Dr. Terrie Noland,) that reframing our thinking is one of the most important things as teachers (and leaders) we can do. I admit that I’m usually the first one to view something from a negative perspective, but I’ve started to work on that! I first allow myself to feel down or sad when I need to and acknowledge my feelings as being real. This is not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength. I can recognize when I'm letting myself spiral into negative thinking. By taking the time to recognize this, I can work through it and reframe my thinking faster. Next, I ask myself, how can I reframe my thinking to put a positive spin on my negative experience or challenge, and view it as something that can be motivating and filled with opportunity? I know I can focus on what I have done well so far, and what I can gain from the hard work I know I'll put in to improving my craft. It sounds simple but I believe we often miss the simple steps because as educators we can overcomplicate our downfalls. If you’re skeptical, please give it a chance- it has not only motivated me but changed me. I’m finding more energy and inspiration to propel myself forward with my goals when I focus on how I can make changes for the better from the obstacles I encounter. I look at them as learning opportunities that will make me a better educator, and they will! And guess what? they will for you too! 

So together this week, lets reflect, reset, reignite, and reframe to continue our growth journey and support one another through each step along the way! 

Final thoughts: Keep reflecting on how far you've come and what you can do to continue your journey. Keep honoring yourself the time you need to reset, and do what is best for you to increase your energy. Keep reigniting your passion for teaching and leading to inspire yourself and others, and finally keep reframing your thinking to help you keep focused on your goals. No matter how large the obstacle remember- you are an educator and you will overcome it! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Leadership: A New Opportunity

Through the Telescope

Final Countdown 2...