The Reader In-between...

 For all the reading teachers out there, I'm sure you can relate to this question... 

What happens to the reader in-between? Teaching young readers is full of challenges, such as balancing phonics instruction with comprehension, transferring ideas to writing, and introducing vocabulary and grammar. One issue I often witness is my readers who have graduated from simple picture books with basic plots and characters are not yet ready for full chapter books... which often leads them to empty-choice shelves. 

I wouldn't exactly call my learning experience today a "discovery," as that indicates something new and revelational, however I was exposed to information I did know on a deeper level.  For my podcast choice today I selected Scholastic's July 18, 2019 Growing Readers with Branches and Acorn. Honestly, the title intrigued me, as I did not know the implication. Being an advocate for Scholastic, and (bragging rights!) Red Apple teacher, I feel I'm well versed in the book choices from Scholastic and which books are "just right" for my students. Truthfully, there are some newer books that I'm not so familiar with, even if I've seen them, however after today, I am anxiously waiting to read them. Branches and Acorn was created by Katie Carella, a teacher who now is an executive editor for Scholastic, and is the mastermind behind this group of "highly illustrated, easy-to-read books with engaging storylines and characters that will help kids fall in love with reading." 

Three great examples of books in this division are Owl Diaries, Crabby, and The Notebook of Doom. If I had only known, I would've purchased these for my classroom earlier. I see them in the flyers all the time, and some of my students have ordered them for home. I knew I should've taken their word for it and got them for our library (and for me to read!) I was instantly hooked on the podcast, and turned up the volume when the authors discussed their books and even read excerpts from them! 

Teaching second grade has been such a rewarding experience the last four years for me. I took for granted the time, hard work, and progress my students made in first grade. Certainly, one of the major challenges Iv'e faced in this grade level has been working with my readers in the transitional level. There are plenty of picture book options for my lower readers, and chapter books are a plenty on my classroom library shelves. The empty spaces are what lies in-between. Leveled readers (often those with the numbers in the top corners) often project an air of superiority  when students compare covers, or frankly... the stories aren't meaningful or relatable for my students! 

The Branches and Acorn books such as Owl Diaries are definitely going to be an investment for my library this year. From the parts I listened too, I can tell that my students will find these stories more attractive, and they have the depth that they need in order to cross the bridge from early readers to full chapter books, yet have elements of simplicity that will support their transition. The authors described their books as engaging, inspired from students creating stories while they play (such as on the playground) with easy plots and characters that are relatable, and are unique for character study. In our fiction unit we complete a series of lessons on understanding characters. My "bridge" readers might not be ready for complex characters in chapter books such as Magic Tree house, however The Notebook of Doom could resemble the traits we look for in a simpler way for them to comprehend. 

Truth- I'm thinking of ordering a book or two in Branches and Acorns in advance to discover the characters, settings, and plots on my own so I can have more engaging conferences with my students, make effective book recommendations for my readers at this level, and, of course, continue to read! I firmly believe that just how it's important for us educators to continue to read professional books, and fiction books we like, we should also not shy away from reading the books/series that our students are. it only enhances our knowledge and skill to make us stronger in reaching reading. When we are strong at what we do, so will our students be once they begin. 

Final thought: Keep reading (no matter what kind of book,) keep investigating, keep listening, and use the resources all around to continue to grow in our craft. 

Find these great titles at:  https://www.scholastic.com/home

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Leadership: A New Opportunity

Through the Telescope

Final Countdown 2...