Small Changes for a Big Difference

 Hello again readers and fellow teacher friends! Welcome to another week of my blog and of the 2023-2024 school year. Just a quick check in: did the week feel like it went by fast or slow? For me it was a mixture of both really. 

Last week we thought about our 1% and how we can change or do one thing that can make a difference. This week let’s think about what we’ve learned so far getting back into the groove of the school year, and reflect how our first week (or few weeks if you started in late August,) went. If you’ve noticed that some routines may need adjusting, know that you’re not alone! As much as we wish things would work the say way ever year, they do not! Since our students are not the same, and each class is different, we have to be flexible with our thinking and make the routines fit the needs of our students. 

Every year I reflect after the first few weeks to see what procedures/routines I can keep exactly the same, and which ones need adjusting (which tend to be most of them!). I admit this can be hard for me since I like the routines/procedures that I’ve put into place before. I got used to them myself, and like my students, I don't like when they change. I also know however, what will always be the same is that I am  the best example to set for my students when it comes to dealing with change. 

While consistency and predictability are keys to classroom management success, so is the ability to adapt. Sometimes I don’t want to create a new procedure, and you know what? We don’t always have to! The beauty of this is, that the changes do not have to be drastic, and can still be predictable. Think about the parts of a routine that went well so far. Are there any aspects that can be kept? Why reinvent the wheel when we can keep what works and only change what doesn’t. This is how we meet the needs of the class, and our own. We don’t always have to throw out the whole pie for just one piece my friends! Changing a whole procedure/routine can be done if needed, but I feel I am often more open to what's changed if I create one new part at a time, or adjust a small part instead of the whole thing. We know this is how our students feel, and it's perfectly fine for us as adults to have the same feelings. What's important is that we try and figure out what we need to do with a routine or procedure that has changed, and focus on doing it as best as we can. Again, this is the best modeling for our students, and it provides them with a sense of comfort. 

Let’s take time this week to think about how we can save time, yet make the adjustments that we need to. This can also carry through at home, in our lesson planning, self-care routines- you name it! By finding the small ways to tweak something, we can make a big impact for our students, and ourselves!

Final Thoughts: Keep reflecting on what is going well and what needs to be changed. Keep in mind that we can adjust small parts instead of a whole routine or procedure. Keep thinking of ways to get excited for what's changed and how to remember it. Finally, keep in mind that change can be good and it will benefit us as educators and our students! Besides, it's still early in the year- we have plenty of time ahead!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Leadership: A New Opportunity

Through the Telescope

Final Countdown 2...