Literacy Leadership: Podcast Study This Week!

My blog comes early this week my friends to prepare for the Podcast Study that I encourage you to sign up for here: https://spod23.my.canva.site/podcast-study

This week the focus is around literacy leadership. I was inspired by the work of my friends at Learning Ally, and my role as a facilitator for a podcast study on Sold a Story by Emily Hanford. In preparation for the podcast study, I'd like to take a moment to reflect on what it means to be a literacy leader. I learned this term through my connections in the Learning Ally Community, and I'm continuing my journey to learn what it means even more with time.

To me, the literacy part means you have to believe that learning to read is a fundamental right, and that literacy is the cornerstone to equity. It's the foundation of all other learning and one's future. It's going from learning to read to reading to learn, and that guides everyone to their goals. 

Leadership is a heavy term we've explored before, but here, I feel that it means you are willing to step out of your comfort zone and take on new challenges, even in times of adversity. Whether this adversity is personal or professional, leaders often have to "tuck away" the weight on their shoulders and pick up an extra weight for others. But, leaders also get joy out of their work, and from my experience, helping others also helps the bag of adversity become a bit lighter in the long run.

Being a leader is holding on to the courage to put your fears aside and determine something else is more important than fear. I admit that being a facilitator for a podcast study made me nervous at first (and in fact, I still am nervous!) I have never done this before so I worry about it going right. I still want to do well and show my best but, as a leader, I know I don't have to be perfect. Leaders know that being perfect is not only impossible, but it also creates illusions that are often misleading. A good leader will admit they do not have all the answers and make mistakes. 

This week, I am admitting that I may not have all the answers to my attendees questions, and I might forget an important point, or even "go blank" during the study. What I've focused on as we get closer to the study is the affirmation that I have to show up, be as prepared as possible, and model for others that leading sometimes means you try new things out without a roadmap... sometimes you are the mapmaker! I know that I've done what I can to feel prepared, and now, as I wait for the study session this week, I can enjoy the excitement of knowing I will meet new people who will teach me something, and we can grow together. Literacy leaders take advantage of these opportunities to lead, and learn from others. So... join us this week! Can't wait to see you there!

Final Thoughts: Keep up your work as a literacy leader, it doesn't matter where you are starting, it matters how you make a difference as you travel. Keep learning all you can about best practices in literacy, and share those with others- that's leading! Keep challenging yourself to try new things and share what you know. Being a leader doesn't mean you have a certain degree, or level of achievement. It means you have the passion, interest, and heart to do the work when it matters most! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Leadership: A New Opportunity

Through the Telescope

Final Countdown 2...