Leading Up to Teacher LEADership Development Summit Part #4

Just one week left! Time has flown by but we are ready for our Teacher LEADership Development Summit on 2/11/23. 

So far we have reviewed L- learn, E- engage, A- accelerate, and finally today I'll be revealing the last letter: D is for Discover. It's time to discover yourself as a leader! 

When the planning started for this event, I thought to myself, what is the ultimate goal of the summit? I realized right away that I want all who attend to discover the leader within them, and notice what they already do as a teacher leader. So many teachers I speak with often say they don't see themselves as a leader, and I'm always reinforcing the idea that they are! I think it's natural for us to feel like we aren't because we are humble and it's in our nature to help others. But the small things we do each day uncover the leader within us whether we realize it or not.

When we make instructional decisions for our students, we are leading. When we help on a committee, serve as a mentor, volunteer to create something for school to support a cause, or support another teacher in any other way... we are leading! Leadership isn't always having a formal role, or developing large projects. Leadership happens all the time and from everyone! The idea about what leadership actually is can often get caught up in labels, roles, and even paid positions. There is such a thing as informal (as well as formal) roles where teachers show their leadership by sharing their knowledge, skills, and passions with those around them. 

We need to recognize those moments, credit ourselves, and believe that deep down, we are leaders. My favorite literacy leader and keynote speaker at our summit, Dr. Terrie Noland discusses how we can lead from where we are, and shares ideas what we can do to continue this momentum. We can share what we know with our school leaders to help everyone have access to necessary information and resources. We can use the informal role to speak with preservice or early educators and guide them. We can help the teacher across the hall with a concept he or she needs more support it. THAT'S leadership! 

This has empowered me to think of myself as a leader, because honestly for the longest time I didn't consider myself one. To be frank, I was even told I wasn't one. I realized that those who matter will notice my work and appreciate my efforts. They will be the ones to guide me and show me how to continue to grow and discover other ways I can be a leader. This guidance is exactly what we aim to share at the LEADership Summit!

Those who wish to explore what they are already doing and how to enhance their skills and work will enjoy the sessions we will have at our summit next week. We will come together to honor our work so far, and discover ourselves as leaders- together.

Final thoughts- Keep telling yourself you are a leader already. Keep learning how to develop your skills as a leader. Keep surrounding yourself with other positive role models who show leadership. Keep discovering what leadership means because in education there is no exact picture or definition. This is the beauty of being a teacher leader- we create what we do and show we are leaders!

Don't forget to register for the summit! 

Register for the summit: https://bit.ly/LEADKDPReg





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Leadership: A New Opportunity

Through the Telescope

Final Countdown 2...