Reframing Thankful

 Greetings fellow teacher friends! 

This week I wanted to share some short thoughts that I also shared in my inSpiration Sunday post on social media. 

We are going to be hearing this phrase/question a lot this week "What are you grateful/thankful for?" In fact, we might even have students share their thoughts out on this as tradition has it. But let's face it friends, teaching is tough right now... I mean more than the usual level of tough. It can and is very easy to spiral into a trap where we feel hopeless and tired, and you know what? That is ok and natural! I often feel frustrated when people tell me to "look at the bright side of things" or "think of the positives instead" or "focus on doing what you can for your students." Well, I do that everyday... and I am allowed to feel discouraged and upset. 

I would like to reframe our thinking for this idea, especially in light of the holiday this week. I have a file in my desk drawer at work titled "It's Worth It," and inside I have cards, pictures, letters, etc. of all the things my students have made me, or that families have sent to me thanking me for being their teacher/their child's teacher. I am grateful that I chose this profession, and I receive feedback that what I do truly has made a difference so far. And you know what? I am not perfect everyday of the week (far from it,) and I have a long way to go on my journey as an educator and lifelong learner. However, along the way, I have made a difference, and I want to continue to do that. 

Even on my worst day, I am my students' greatest hope, and without teachers, what would happen to our students? I fear this answer so much I will keep writing instead of pausing to think about it. Many people have questioned me recently why I choose to keep teaching and why I go "above and beyond" for my students. The answer is simple: I fear more what will happen to my students if I don't rather, than go through the usual routine of being exhausted and making sacrifices if I do. I am grateful for this opportunity to make a difference, in whatever way I can. It might seem selfish to some for being grateful for yourself, but in my opinion, it is simply the acknowledgement a teacher needs to keep focused and keep working hard for their students. 

I also know that I am far from being alone. I am surrounded by amazing teammates on my grade level team. I know teachers from all over the country, and I know there are teachers out there whom I've never met, yet, I know we are all striving each day to do our best, give our time, energy, effort, and our heart to this profession. We all have the same goal to help shape the future by creating the future leaders and workers of our world. We want what's best for our students and wish them success in all they do. That's why we chose to answer the calling to this profession of lifelong learning to begin with. 

And for all these (and more,) I am truly grateful. 

Final thoughts: Keep recognizing yourself and the work you do, you deserve it! Keep being grateful and thankful for your sacrifices, they do not go unnoticed. Keep sharing with other teachers how grateful you are for them. And finally, keep the thought in your mind that you are making a difference- teaching is #heartwork! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Leadership: A New Opportunity

Through the Telescope

Final Countdown 2...