Lead from Where You Are

 Today I'm excited to talk about a favorite topic of mine- leadership! I've been listening to podcasts, reading, and attending conferences on leadership to learn more about it. In fact, the burning question for me really has been, what is leadership? There are so many definitions that suggest it's one specific thing or another, but is it really something that can be defined with exacts? 

What I am learning from my own experience is that leadership is more of a mindset rather than a tangible or definable thing we can do. I'm learning to not put as much pressure on myself to leap right in, figure out what leadership is, and well, lead. I realized from great leaders that I can reframe my thinking and be a leader from starting small. As Dr. Terrie Noland says "lead from where you are." 

Recently at the Spotlight on Literacy Leadership Conference I learned that it's the small steps we take that can truly make a difference. A great leader can come from anywhere, and the effects of that one leader can influence so many. I also realized that the idea of "literacy leadership" really has grassroots in leadership in general. I personally feel that it's my mission to share my knowledge about best practices on teaching literacy, and I want my voice to be heard, however, I feel that I am still learning about the Science of Reading and best practices, so there are many others out there who are more equipped to lead than me. Before I sat down to write, I wondered, do I have to be an "expert" on this topic to lead? This time last year my answer might have been yes, however my new mindset has allowed me to bravely say "no!" Even if I know one thing that I can share other with others to make a difference, then my role as a leader has been worth it, and I'll continue to learn as I lead. 

Leading from where you are is an opportunity to demonstrate to others vulnerability and willingness to learn, while having the courage to lead others at the same time. Great leaders do not profess to know everything, but surround themselves with others who are knowledgeable and have a talent for what they do.  So why not lead from where you are? You can make a difference, and together we can lead and learn from each other! 

This gives me hope and inspiration that I'll continue to grow as a leader and find others to network with who will uplift me, and I can encourage them to continue to lead from where they are at- we will all lead together. 

Final Thoughts: Keep reaching out to those you view as leaders and learn from them. Keep listening to understand and absorb as much as you can. Keep practicing leadership by doing small things. Keep in mind grand gestures are not needed to make a large impact. Finally, keep leading right from where you are, and we will figure it out together! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Leadership: A New Opportunity

Through the Telescope

Final Countdown 2...