Lessons in Leadership

 This weekend I had the pleasure of listening to two great presenters for the Teachonomy Teacher Summit. Dr. Chris Hobbs and  Joshua Stamper both had excellent sessions that I learned a lot from. It's fairly easy for me to find professional development in other areas such as reading intervention, special education, and anything that pertains to being a classroom teacher. When it comes to leadership, it hasn't been that easy. 

I'm in the unique position that I'm not studying to be an administrator or serving in a quasi-administrative role. For those that know me best, they know that leadership in education is one of my passions, and I fulfill that role through Kappa Delta Pi. Serving as Associate Counselor has been a blessing the past 7 years, and I've learned many lessons in leadership because I was given the chance to serve. 

That's why I was beyond grateful for the leadership sessions Teachonomy offered during the summit. They were a perfect fit for me, yet the concepts could easily be applied by an administrator. 

Dr. Chris Hobbs shared the following: "Your leadership character/integrity will determine how much stress you can handle... Success for a leader is a lot like ice; it's cold and smooth but if you're not careful you'll slip on it... Challenges are more likely to expose leadership character." 

These are so true, even for someone in a leadership role such as mine. While I love when things work smoothly for my chapter of KDP, there are certainly times when things do not go well, and I have to put on my "leadership" hat. It may not be the most comfortable of situations, but I know that as I talk out my concerns, the main point is that it benefits the chapter and all members. It's not about me anymore, but about the greater good for a better cause- that's what enables me to have those difficult conversations. 

Another point I appreciated from Dr. Chris Hobbs was his idea about the bolt and paperclip. I try to lead by example, and share with my leadership team frequently that I want us to always thrive and not just survive. It's truly a team effort to offer great programming for teachers and lead others, but it can be done! After all we should be more like a bolt than a paperclip! 

Final Thoughts: Keep leading... there's no greater experience than being right there and putting your ideas and skills into practice! Keep learning from other leaders! Check out Teachonomy, KDP and other great organizations to help you expand your PLN and meet other likeminded leaders! Keep asking questions and reflecting. As a leader you have to put into practice what you expect from others, and continue to allow yourself to make mistakes to be stronger (like a bolt) for yourself and others! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Leadership: A New Opportunity

Through the Telescope

Final Countdown 2...