Co-Teaching, Managing, and Engaging, Part #1- A Webinar Reflection

 Recently, my co-teacher and I were asked to present a webinar on co-teaching. We shared our experience teaching this year and in 2020, which was mostly (as we know) virtual teaching. The lessons we took away from this experience helped us to grow individually, and together as a team. We had to adapt our typical strategies, modifications, accommodations, and instructional delivery into a different learning landscape that was challenging, however it forced us out of our comfort zone, and we now have more tools in our toolbox to use in the classroom. 

What I enjoyed most about presenting for this webinar was the chance to share with others what we did, and show them they too can be successful in a co-teaching partnership. I truly believe that it begins with establishing the relationship from the start, and getting to know each other, both personally and professionally. Building trust is the key to being able to work together. I am fortunate that my co-teacher and I agreed from the very beginning that we needed to create the foundation, share what's important to us, and build the classroom environment together.

I often joke that my co-teacher is also willing to join me on my "crazy-train" which has allowed our co-teaching relationship to grow and continue to be strong. Knowing we might be reading the same articles, working on a presentation together etc. offers opportunities to add humor and excitement throughout the day. For example, sneaking in a side joke about a "blooper" on a slide breaks up the long strains of continuous teaching we often had this past year. I am excited to get up everyday and go to work, knowing I have a supportive co-teacher who understands my personal-professional goals, and often participates in various aspects of them with me. 

Although your relationship with a co-teacher may not be exactly the same, and you might not have the same personal-professional interests, you do have the opportunity to make connections over things you are working on for your students. 

The webinar presentation has inspired me to use this blog to share with you a mini-series on co-teaching to share some of my favorite points, and tips I feel would make any co-teaching team get stronger together. 

So for now, here are some Final Thoughts: keep connecting with your co-teacher, even before the school year starts (if possible,) keep building the trust together, keep asking each other questions and take interest in each other personally and professionally, and keep finding similar interests you have in teaching, and work on side-projects together- you'll learn and grow together!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Leadership: A New Opportunity

Through the Telescope

Final Countdown 2...