The Co-Op Classroom Part 3: The Veteran Teacher in Motion

 We are now into our third full week of co-op teaching! Although I mentioned this in my last blog, I knew I wanted to start this blog with my repeated thought; veteran teachers can learn so much from their cooperating teachers! I've learned about different platforms that I am excited to integrate into my class from my co-op. As much as I am supporting her along her teaching journey, she has by far added to my path as well. 

What I would like to focus on today is the importance of a mentor-mentee relationship, and the role that veteran teachers play in developing that. Yes, we can learn from our co-ops, however, they are there to receive our guidance; it's just a wonderful bonus when we realize what's reciprocated. Whether it is a co-op experience or a first year teacher with mentor, having a strong support system is one of the most vital parts of teaching to an early educator. I personally believe that all teachers are capable of being great mentors, however they have to desire to be one. Without energy and enthusiasm for leadership, the relationship dynamic has potential for failure. 

I've served as a cooperating teacher, buddy teacher, and mentor teacher in the past. From the veteran teacher perspective, these relationships won't always be smooth, mine certainly weren't! I had to figure out a lot on my own, given the professional development from my school was limited. After reading and researching on my own, I formulated my own ideas for what to do, along with following the district protocols. The hardest part was removing the barriers and building these new relationships from the ground up. As the mentor, I feel it's my role to be there for the new educator and ease the nerves he or she may have. It's important to be inviting and open right away. 

My co-op for this current experience is from another state, so despite what the current learning environments are, she is not able to be with me in the classroom anyway. Knowing this, I was concerned in the beginning how this would work. I feel that this is when relationship building has been even more central to our successful work together. Taking the time to hear about her classes and what new technology she is learning, listening to her experience stories, offering advice, and taking the time to carefully look at assignments together have been nonnegotiable parts of our calls. I know as a teacher leader I have the power to make our relationship grow, and my goal is to water the seeds every single time. 

If you're a veteran teacher, think about ways you can prepare a head of time (if you're able to of course because we all know things "pop up" sometimes) for your co-op and visualize what you see in the ideal relationship. Write down ways you can foster that relationship with what you know already, and... keep reading! There is a wealth of literature out there to help! One of my favorite places to read articles is of course on the KDP archives (comes with membership) and on ASCD. 

We can make a difference for our co-ops in their early teaching years, and we can make a difference in having them stick with the profession! We know the stats about teachers leaving within the first four years... now let's change that together! 

Final thoughts: Keep considering being a mentor or cooperating teacher, keep working on relationship building, keep learning through your own self-exploration, and keep growing as a teacher leader! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Leadership: A New Opportunity

Through the Telescope

Final Countdown 2...