The Binder Part 2: Continuing the Collection

 Now that. you have some ideas how to get started with a data binder, let's continue the conversation about it. You might be asking, what are my next steps? How much data do I need? Is there such a thing as too much? Well you do not have to fear, this post is all about the next steps of having a data binder and maintaining it. 

You still might be thinking of the types of data you want to potentially keep in it. I shared this in my first post, and I'll emphasize it here many times; do not feel strapped to put every piece of paper into the binder. it will become a clutter corner instead of a showcase and reference point. Consider keeping information you use frequently or wish to use for your Domain 4. 

What's next? Getting organized! Think about which sections you will visit the most frequently, be it for lists, reference, or sharing with administrators. 

Consider making a table of contents or list the different topics that you want to include in your binder and see what you have for each. If there isn't that much you might want to combine "like" sections and double label. This will save you from over tabbing or labeling (which I've done!) 

After you've organized the sections and added in your documents, the most important step is to maintain your binder. Very often time creeps by us and we often find our binder weeks (or even months) later on the shelf with dust. Be sure that if you choose to create a binder that it is something you actually use and benefit from! It should not be a chore, or space-filler on your shelf. I personally check my binder a few times a month to make sure it's current and I have updated information and resources. Because I put in documents I want to often refer to, I actually refer to my binder to look up data and reference when I have questions about student information. 

Recently, I've transformed my data binder from a "collection" of items to a "working binder." I found that I frequently don't like the structure of pre-made gradebooks (although the covers are beautiful!) Therefore, I created my own gradebook section in my binder with customizable pages from a Power Point I had from Teachers Pay Teachers. It has been teacher-life changing to make the binder pages in my own style, with enough space for notes, and I can pre-type in student names when printing. 
I've also created a section for teacher notes to record hours of work, ideas for planning, and incidents I want records of. I use my binder daily. 

Final thoughts: Keep working on your data binder. Keep thinking how you can make your binder more useful and not a space-filler. Keep your ideas fresh, that will keep your data binder fresh!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Leadership: A New Opportunity

Through the Telescope

Final Countdown 2...