The Binder Part 1: Getting Started

 Recently I was asked a few questions by an early educator about teacher binders. Some districts refer to them as data binders. But what exactly is a data binder or teacher binder? 

While there is no correct straight forward answer to this, there are suggestions for what binders should include. In the beginning it can be overwhelming, and you might find yourself putting in every piece of paper, or none at all. 

As with everything, it's about finding the balance. I always air on the side of don't put the paper in vs. over-stuffing, but there are some key topics, references, etc. to include. I've complied a short list of items to include with suggestions for organization of your binder. 

Start with important class papers such as the class list with student names, ID numbers, etc. This needs to be handy at all times 

Include schedules with notes about specials, push-in supports, small groups etc. 

-General notes- this working space serves as a place to write general notes about the class. You can also keep a typed running record. I personally keep my record of notes digitally since I can type faster than I write. I do keep hand-written notes for my hone-instruction student in my binder. 

-Gradebook papers- Some teachers keep a separate gradebook. I've found that creating my own has allowed me the freedom to create my gradebook how I wish, and it serves as another piece of data. 

-Family contact information- If not readily available through your school system or you do not use a communication platform such as Class Dojo, keeping family emails and information in the binder allows you to reach it quickly. 

-List of important dates- Upcoming progress reports, IEP meetings, faculty meetings, report cards and more. Having a running list in order of the school year will help. keep track of al your events. 

-Small Group information- I keep a separate binder for Reader's Workshop, so this section could be in your general binder, or kept in a separate one. Create sections for guided reading, individual conferring, and strategy groups. Having these notes to refer back to helps with assessments 

-Informational papers- If you have information you want to refer to quickly, use as evidence, or assist you with upcoming work, this is worthy of keeping. As I stated before, tossing should come before keeping. 

There are many other types of data you can collect for your data binder. This is not the "must do" list by any means. In fact, I can tell which other topics I left out already, however I'd like to discuss those in my next blog. 

Until then here are some final thoughts: 

Keep  your teacher  binder handy. Keep asking yourself if the paper you are keeping is worth it or not. Keep cleaning out your binder (once to twice a year) and updating documents to put in that are more relevant. Keep thinking outside the box with what you need and can include. Keep your students learning goals as a primary driving point. This will help with making affective decision making later on. Keep asking other teachers for input what to include and see their samples. It never hurts to look and gather your own ideas! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Leadership: A New Opportunity

Through the Telescope

Final Countdown 2...