The Teacher's Teacher: Coaching and Indelible Leadership Connection

In a recent blog post, I shared a short review of the book  Indelible Leadership: Always Leave Them Learning by Michael Fullan. In my post I shared my reflections on the book, lessons learned, favorite quotes and sections, as well as how it is changing my perspective on leadership. 

For today, I'd like to start with a quote from the book; "A painting is not thought out and settled in advance. While it is being done, it changes as one's thoughts change. And when finished, it goes on changing, according to the state of mind of whoever is looking at it." - Picasso 

This quote struck me even more today during my walk while listening to my podcast choice for today: Teaching Today,  July 23, Coaching and Connecting with Adult Learners. The connections I made charged my energy and my thinking about leadership and coaching. As I listened I noticed the concepts in Indelible Leadership wove seamlessly into the conversations in the podcast, and the panelists mirrored Fullan's points on leadership... and it wasn't even planned! Making connections is truly a powerful move!

Coaching is a form of leadership, and is a way for teachers to give back to one another and offer support. Coaching is also different than mentoring in some ways. For example, a mentor might not be as invested in the one-to-one in-classroom work, as they are often assigned positions. Those who feel the call to coach, often do it on the own accord. 

Teaching can feel isolating, and especially recently with working remotely, it's become even more intense. I personally agree with the panelists today that early educators should seek their own form of coaching to help them work through tough situations, notice what they do well, and where they can improve. One specific analogy the panelists gave today highlighted Fullen's idea that leaders must support others to grow and not have all decisions come from them. Instructional coaches must work strategically to notice and note, but also allow the teacher they work with to draw their own conclusions about their instructional delivery. The one panelist shared how this is much like coaching someone through a fitness competition. The coach knows what the competitor needs before he/she needs it, and knows what directions to give. Education coaches have the prior experiences to share and advice to give. Just like the panelists and Fullen describe, it's vital that teacher leaders/coaches provide strategies to improve and avoid the "what you did was wrong or bad" perspective. Rather, concrete tips and modeling for editing work will yield better results while continuing to motivate the teacher with whom the coach is working. 

There are many ways that coaching other teachers is parallel to how we coach our students. Building the trust and relationships are the first steps. When a teacher knows he/she can trust his/her coach to do what is best and provide support when it's needed most, they both will benefit. I personally feel that being an instructional coach offers opportunity to learn and grow personally and professionally as a leader. This is why I love the work I do with my chapter of KDP. I learn a lot from the early educators I work with, and I'm able to share experiences and provide constructive feedback. 

Although some school districts have already embraced the idea of instructional coaching, I know there are many out there who have not. Using the talents of teachers who are passionate about helping other teachers is a win-win for everyone, especially students. It also allows for community and support systems to be in place, which many early educators have shared through feedback that lacks in their school. Echoing Fullen, coaches are meant to be in place for only as long as they are needed. 

I'd like to share a direct thought from the podcast: Teachers have a certain amount of knowledge they bring to the coaching relationship. It's not necessarily about being an "expert" compared to the teacher being coached, rather, a teacher who is coaching knows the things to ask. It's not always about having the right answers for the teachers you help, but rather asking the right questions

How true is this? asking questions is how we learn, what we encourage our students to do, and just like our work and learning as a teacher never reaches a finite point, neither does the work of an instructional coach. Those that are interested in coaching/ teacher leadership/mentoring are always learning and growing, and embracing the deep learning change Fullen ingeniously outlines in his book. 

I encourage all of you who feel the call to lead to read his book, listen to the Teaching Today podcast, and if you'd like a sneak peak, view my previous blog on Indelible Leadership. 

Final thoughts: focus on deep learning, keep unleashing new was of thinking, keep inspiring others to lead, keep sharing your knowledge, and keep growing your own.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Leadership: A New Opportunity

Through the Telescope

Final Countdown 2...