Pick of PD: Letting Teachers Make the First Choice

I'm thankful today I'm able to reach out and write, as many of my friends and colleagues are without power from the storm that occurred yesterday. Thankfully we were spared here and I can offer my home to anyone who needs accommodations until their power is restored. 

Today I'd like to keep it simple with a reflection on a topic that I love to talk about with new teachers, and veteran teachers (both for very different reasons) because of the perspectives from all sides seeming to find a similar conclusion...

One of the best things about summer is the fact that I can self-direct my own learning and discover what I find interesting. I can also use multiple outlets such as social media and the KDP website (through KDP U and KDP Global) to network and meet educators from all over the world. And the best part? It's at my own time, my own, place, and my own pace. I read an article through ASCD (a while ago) about teachers leading their own professional development, and the positive outcomes that could lead to. Personally as an educator for more than 13 years, I'm all for this. I know the euphoric effects my mind has when I am able to select what I'd prefer to read or hear about, as opposed to being invited to the same PD session guised with a different fancy title dipped in glitter and bling to make it appear new. As a (hopeful) future leader, I know there are certain topics and material that need to be covered during a PD session, however, it is not the only way to offer PD, nor is it the only kind of PD schools should offer. 

Lately, I've leaped back on the pirate ship with the TLAP (Teach Like a Pirate) series. For those that are not aware of TLAP, allow me maties to welcome you aboard. Please check out Dave Burgess and his website... but pirates ye be warned... once you read Teach Like a Pirate, you're thinking and teaching will forever be transformed. Oh, and if you ever get the amazing opportunity like I have to hear Dave speak, you'll never (ever) look at a workshop the same way again.... 
Getting back, I enjoyed reading Lead Like a Pirate and seeing what the authors Shelly Burgess and Beth Houf have done for professional development. It's refreshing to see how they have bequeathed a love of learning in their staff by taking risks and making professional development take on a whole persona in of itself. What's even more electrifying is their willingness to have their staff commandeer their own learning, and share with others. *Pardon me while I close my eyes and dream for a moment....* 

Although some find humor in our "summers off" theory that we know as educators is not only irrelevant but simply untrue, I find summer to be a reboot in which I can plug myself in to the work I actually want to do, and recharge my thinking for the upcoming year. One could argue, that for me, I learn more in the summertime than at any other point in the year. My question still remains why do I (and others of course,) have to wait for the eight weeks off with no paycheck to self-educate? Why is this not a part of our thread of the fabric we handle each and everyday in the classroom? 

Imagine if teachers were able to use their own compass to navigate the often unchartered foe of the teaching ocean... what new treasure and territory we would have to bring into the classroom! On a personal note, I'm starting to get riveting ideas for a possible thesis one day. It's certainly worth exploring, given there are leaders in the field who have tried this approach, and they all share the buy-in from teachers was nothing short of energizing and positive. 
Be sure to check out my book list and links for some recommended books (practically all of them!) from TLAP. Please note I usually only add books to my personal recommendation list that I've already read, however I can personally affirm that any of the books form DBC inc, is sure to allow you to sail on a teaching and learning journey like never before.... 
"Now bring me that horizon, and really bad eggs..." - Jack Sparrow

Final Thought: Keep navigating your own learning, keep sailing through different paths, keep your own compass nearby, and never let anyone take the helm of your love for learning in education...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Leadership: A New Opportunity

Through the Telescope

Final Countdown 2...