Dynamically Infused Instructional Practices

I often think about the disconnect between what I hear and learn in many of my professional development experiences, and what's expected of me as a teacher in the classroom. From workshops to podcasts and webinars, the re-occurring theme seems to reflect how teachers need more autonomy in their instructional delivery. Educators need to be empowered and encouraged to be creative. 

When we go to a doctor, we trust him or her to make the best decisions based on our individual, specific needs, and their knowledge base. So, why is it that teachers cannot do the same for their students? Truth is we can, however many educators do not feel entrusted to do so. So much of our work is mandated that finding time to try newly learning strategies, technologies, and lessons seems impossible. Isn't meeting the diverse needs of our learners what our collective goal is? I get to know my students, their needs, and make informed decisions for instruction from there. That's the purpose of differentiated instruction, and also the purpose of me continuing to develop my craft. 

From there, we often return to our classrooms and "resume the norm," but does it have to be that way? Can we indeed find time in an already crammed schedule to implement ideas that excite us and practice new skills? In addition, what can we do to try to implement creativity despite the concurrent demands? Perhaps it is possible to have it all...

I created a "quick tips" list, thinking of working in small steps to achieve the balance of innovative teaching practices and mandates. The task is not easy by any means, however I know it's one that I personally continue to strive to achieve. My students rely on my perseverance to receive the best instruction from me they deserve. I'd love to hear feedback on my graphic! 

- Try one small thing you've learned from a workshop/webinar etc., at. a time! 

-As you learn a new strategy, think of your current students and how it would benefit them.

- Spend some quiet time reflecting on what new ideas you personally get excited about; energy is contagious! 

- Take note of what new theories or strategies you learn or read about that are also rooted in evidence based practice (EBP) that can easily connect to what you have to work on in your lessons.

All educators, novice and veteran can start small! Think of the large impact we will have when we start small and continue to infuse our instructional delivery with sparks of ingenuity. I feel that my own personal over-ambitious personality often gets in the way, and I blame-shift this to demands infringed upon me, instead of pausing to reflect. I often want to try a wealth of new things I've learned, and right away. This often leaves me overwhelmed and feeling helpless. I have to remind myself what I would suggest to my students also applies to me. Small steps are cause for celebration! We may not ever eliminate the standardized mandates completely, however we can have innovative, expressive classrooms along with working on what's required, one small step at a time... 

Final Thoughts: keep striving for small steps, keep viewing struggles as an opportunity to learn and grow, keep being personal and authentic, keep students at the front of the line of importance... it will never steer you wrong! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Leadership: A New Opportunity

Through the Telescope

Final Countdown 2...