Book Review: Leaving You Yearning and Learning for Indelible Leadership

I am feeling quite accomplished from this weekend because I am excited to share that I finished the book Indelible Leadership, Always Leave Them Learning by Michael Fullan. I highly recommend this book for teacher leaders who have been in the field for at least three years or more, are involved with leadership at their school, or even (as in my case,) an educational related group or honor society chapter. 

I'm certainly not professing to be a book reviewer by any stretch of the imagination, however my excitement for this book cannot be contained. Truthfully a dear friend of mine recommended it to me when we were having a conversation about my current leadership position with my chapter of KDP, and in general at the school/ district level. I cannot thank her enough for this recommendation. My hope is have you feeling the same and wishing to read it after this post. 

Unapologetically, I'm always yearning for more when it comes to growing as a teacher and leader. The timing of my read arrived at a perfect hour, as it gave me sense of security that I'm well on my way to becoming the leader I yearn to be. 

Fullan explains in Indelible Leadership the concept of deep learning, and "the outcomes are what we now call the global  competencies or the 6Cs: character, citizenship, collaboration, communication, creativity, and critical thinking." Throughout the book I connected with the examples, case studies, and reflections. For example, the author also suggests how it is possible to have too much passion, and the continuing challenge of leaders is breaking through status quo when you really don't know what the outcomes will be. Now more than ever, I feel this holds true. 

One of the main reasons why we enter the profession as teachers is that we want to make a lasting impact and difference on the world. I personally feel that those who are called to lead should embrace the draw to leadership and channel the energy challenges share in order to increase their effect on others; both teachers and students. In reality teachers are naturally leaders, even if they do not perceive themselves as such. Fullan embraces the ideas of students as change agents in the book, and how we can steer them to come to their own understandings of this, use their knowledge as a determining factor in decisions, and ultimately achieving  our goal of helping humanity. Teachers are the driving agents to empower students to make a difference; that's what makes them leaders! "What this amounts to is students, including very young ones, are becoming citizens of tomorrow today."

Perhaps one of the most testing and uneasy of thoughts (at least for me) in the book was the idea that leaders, true leaders, are ultimately on a journey to be replaceable. If you walk way and too much is compromised, then truly you went wrong somewhere. Leaders prepare other leaders to take their place, while embracing the possibilities of what (personally and/or professionally) might be next for them. These leaders in turn also know their role is to prepare the next line of leaders to take their place. What's important during your time of leadership is to "lead them learning today so that you can leave them learning for tomorrow." One might consider the notion that everyone is replaceable here (as heard on Dance Moms.) However, perhaps the goal in our case is to be replaceable in order to remain a lasting image in our work. 

If what I shared sounds interesting to you, then I suggest to not wait and get the book. My purpose in sharing some of my favorite parts was to be enticing and encouraging, not revealing of all the book has to offer. It truly can be equated to a power hour workout of your leadership brain muscle. Although not long in length, the language (must like the concepts) is deep and riveting. If I can finish it in about three days then I have no doubt you will not need long to blast through and awaken your understanding and appreciation  for leadership by looking at it from a different angled lens you never truly expected. 

Final Thoughts: Everybody is replaceable; leaders are supposed to be, a true leader is judged not on what he or she accomplishes, but by the leaders he or she creates to follow, recognize the leaders around you (even students) to truly embrace change and make a difference in education, others, and humanity as a whole... 

Check out my book list for this title and more great ones as I add them along the way throughout my reading journey- and always keep reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Leadership: A New Opportunity

Through the Telescope

Final Countdown 2...