A Time to Teach, A Time to Learn

Today I spent some time reflecting on a few different things which I am excited to share here. 

I feel the true spark of determination of what to write about came from watching a video on differentiated instruction (as told by Hollywood teachers.) You can view the video here in the link, Hollywood Teachers.
While this video is aimed at striking humor, and believe me it does, there were a few principles within it that rung the bell of truth. 

When we as educators take the steps to connect with our students, make content relatable, use familiar vocabulary, allow student choice, recognize the talent of students, and recognize that we are actually the ones that have learning to do, we create a trusting classroom climate that will make a difference. Personally, I feel that if these factors aren't the forefront of what we do and are accomplished first, what's the sense in moving on with instruction? 

At the end, one of the final lines was most prominent of all... "I learn from my students everyday." I smiled to myself and whispered "yes..." Isn't this what it's all about? Isn't this the heart and soul behind it all? Countless times I found myself sharing with the pre-service teachers I work with and present to that you enter the classroom ready to teach. You stayed up late, made the plans, organized materials, set the stage, and in the end you were the one who walked away learning something. I'm eternally grateful for my energetic, bright-eyed, and inquisitive youngsters that have made a difference in my life. 

Lessons Learned: 
Tying your shoes can be a victory
When all else fails, read a book 
Help one another 
Don't hesitate to ask questions (and then repeat them) 
Run, laugh, cry, yell, and express yourself.... your harshest critic is indeed you
Appreciate being outside and all nature has to offer 
Lunchroom food isn't all that bad in the big scheme of things (it could be worse) 
Smile often
Take risks... we don't learn by sitting down 
Learn from your mistakes, they'll be plenty of them 

Oh how I could go on, and on... But if you think about it, viewing the world from the lens of a child allows us to see it quite differently, and frankly, we should never loose sight of that. I plan on taking these lessons (and more) with me as I enter this new and uncertain school year. I know I'll need frequent reminders of them! 

Final thoughts: Keep focused, keep persevering, keep investigating, keep questioning; 
Teaching is lifelong learning

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Leadership: A New Opportunity

Through the Telescope

Final Countdown 2...