Flashback Friday: Small Moments

After pausing to consider my blog today, I made a decision about my blogs that I am excited to share. I think it would be worth while to use Fridays as "flashback" days to reflect on the week as a whole, my prior posts, and end the week with a reflection which can serve as an overview perspective to launch us into the weekend. 
This week in particular has been quite busy. As I mentioned I am working on a rather large project with a dear friend of mine for differentiated instruction. I've been working diligently on my own personal article that I hope to see published by ASCD Express. I've been pondering my next steps in my teaching (and learning) journey, while considering some personal circumstances at home and with family that might result in a life altering change for me this upcoming year. I've been blessed to have seen a few of my friends this week who have either made me laugh with "giddy, go-for-it" remarks, moments to relax and stare at the ocean and realize how small we really are compared to the world, and had fun conversations that celebrate our mistakes and smile reassuringly to each other, oh and with winking blue eyes!
Then I realized... these small moments are what truly make this life so worthwhile. It's the moments like ones I just shared that have (I believe anyway,) impacted me the most in large ways. Why you may ask? Well, perhaps one could state the cliche that "it's the little things in life" point of view. Although I totally agree with that, my take on it is that I equate these small moments to STOP signs in the road. They're there for a few reasons; of course they keep you safe, force you to stop and be observant, but they all allow others to cross your path. Some say there are no coincidences, and everyone you meet is meant to enter (and sometimes) exit your life at different times, and for different reasons. Perhaps it's our human nature compelling us to demand the universe for the answers as to why, and what's more, why some people go and some people stay. Perhaps it's not our call, nor our place to ask why... but attempt (with our flaws in mind) to trust the process, as challenging as that may be. 
Today in particular I saw (for the first time this year) my two cardinals. I new right away they were my friends that passed when we were younger because when it's either one of them, they never travel alone. That's how I learned to differentiate between them and other loved ones who are no longer here with us. For those that are uncertain of the spirituality of appearances by cardinals, I recommend a simple search to learn more. I welled up in tears and whispered "I miss you both so much, why are you gone?" I thought back to a few times we were together and instantly felt their warmth and love within me. It was the small moments that came back quickly and are irreversible in my mind. 
As a teacher the identical happens. I often remember the small moments that I share with students. When they tell me their soccer team won their championship game, they lost their first tooth, they're excited to be a big brother or sister... I always remember the small moments with colleagues, fellow Kadelpians, and co-workers. The time a photo was "photo bombed," a joke was told, a shoe fell off, a glance was given, etc. all encompass my fondest memories. We as teachers know it's not going to be the testing or dry PD sessions that we remember at the end of the day or week, in fact I find it personally difficult to write that without a touch of sarcasm or an eye roll. 
Like Tom Murray shares in his book Personal and Authentic (a great read on my list by the way!) we have to make time to get to know our students, one another, etc., and make the process authentically caring and show our students we care about them first or else we are doomed to have a group who is far off and disengaged. 
Final thought; Aren't we obligated to make what we do personal and authentic for our students, but also owe it to ourselves to make the most out of our life to truly understand and appreciate all that the small moments have to offer? 
I know my answer, what is yours?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Leadership: A New Opportunity

Through the Telescope

Final Countdown 2...