Connecting with Families: Beyond the Classroom #2, Starting Off on the Right Key

This is my second blog about family connections. If you missed the first, no worries, you can find it in the thread. As I continue to participate in PD sessions/conferences this week, I'm truly amazed by how many great educators and leaders we have in this profession. I'm always learning something new, even about topics I feel I know well, and the school-home connections is definitely one of them. 

As I stated in my previous blog, I attended some great sessions this week at ISTE Summer Learning Academy, TYHO (Teach Your Heart Out) Conference, and newly added today, ASCD's Virtual Conference, Respond, Reimagine, Restart.  These challenged my thinking for how to increase and improve my connections as an educator with students' families. This makes me joyful because I can share this new inspiration with other educators, and trade ideas that will benefit all. 

One specific takeaway that's already causing my brain train to speed around the track is the idea of reaching out to families early and connecting with them before the school year starts. This was always a part of my practice, as I've sent a welcome brochure every year with my contact information, what to expect, and fun facts about myself (and my fabulous co-teachers!) In this brochure I showcased vital information families would need, however I also invited my students to think ahead for the upcoming year. I'd ask them to think about what makes them unique, what they would like to share with their teachers once we met, and something they would share with their peers (it could be the same or different as what they share with us.) 

Much like preventative care and being pro-active with our health is a key strategy in avoiding issues later on,  I know I have to "step up my game" this year in anticipating questions and concerns families have. In my first blog on this topic, I shared the idea of creating videos ahead of time for students and families to watch and answer FAQs. Now I'm thinking about what more I can do. It's certainly not out of the question to have conferences before the school year starts, as many families eventually felt comfortable and became familiar with the technology platforms we infused into our learning this past spring. Likewise, a a simple phone call would also suffice. The philosophical question remains; how do I plan for an early conference when I, myself, do not know what to expect this year? One could conclude that particular point could be the key to developing powerful relationships with families. Let them know we are human too and we do not always have the answers! Learning is truly a lifelong experience...The key is to assure them once we have information, they will be included in that process of knowing, so effective decisions can be made together. 

Another idea I learned at the TYHO conference this week is to make a welcome video to introduce yourself as a teacher, and (yes I know this might sound odd but..) as a person. Sharing a video can be a whole family experience that all can enjoy, and it allows them to see you, before actually meeting you. Show them pictures, objects, or even a special place in your house (if you feel comfortable of course) to connect with them. In turn, request families make a video to share with you different information. Have students show you a favorite book, toy, game, pet... the sky is the limit! This will not only break the barrier of using technology early, (whether for a new family or a refresher for a family that participated in online learning in the spring,) but it will serve as an icebreaker to introduce students and their families so they feel involved, valued, and welcomed.  

Anyone else feeling energized? Ready, set, let's brainstorm the restart with family communication!

Let's start planning together how we can start the school year off on the right foot, or in this case, keyboard/screen/platform? :o) 

Final Thought: Stay relevant, stay connected, stay vested in relationships... they come first!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Leadership: A New Opportunity

Through the Telescope

Final Countdown 2...