Meditation on Leadership

Today the leadership team and I had a great meeting! One of the best things about our chapter of KDP is the time and energy officers dedicate to planning each academic year. What makes all of our events successful is the planning process behind it. Just like in theater, the magic happens behind the curtain so the show can run smoothly. 

I am particularly excited for new project initiatives this year that will explore new areas for our Literacy Alive project, Celebration of Teaching project, and a new Leadership Project. 

Our Leadership Project perhaps excites me the most because it stirs my enthusiasm for instilling leadership in other educators, while stretching my own growth and flexibility as a leader. In the initial planning stages, my fellow officers agreed nothing short of the best would do for our chapter, and so, we decided that we will reflect on the great works of other KDP teacher leaders through one of my favorite texts: The Power of Teacher Leaders. (You can find this book on my text list!) 

Although I knew from the start of my career I'd have to tap into the most remote places of my insecurities at times to exercise my growing skills in my role, what is unwavering is the notion that all great leaders have had to do the same. This cushion has permitted me to recharge after every uncertain experience, and force myself to push forward, despite the times I secretly didn't want to. 

All of the great authors in the book have provided unparalleled advice for new teachers trying to find their way as leaders. This alone can be a difficult task to carry among other main responsibilities in the first few years of "survival mode" many often refer to as a pure description of teaching. Now with an uncertain future, assuming leadership almost seems like a far out place beyond grasp. It is my hope that our chapter can use the text and our own experiences to give a glimpse of hope and spark the spirit in others this fall. 

 I often smile to myself when I skim through the book that although time goes on and teaching changes (almost too) rapidly, some of the basic fundamentals of these foundation setters simply never change. 

Great leaders can come from anywhere. Conceivably it's the networking, professional development, commitment to learning and observing others who have excelled as a leader, while learning from both their successes and errors that some would say are key factors that one needs to lead. True, without a doubt,  however I would pose that it's the inner workings of fervor and courage of vitality that sets one apart from the rest. 

It is with great energy and attention to detail that I hope to convey this message and effective strategies to other teacher leaders this upcoming year. One cannot simply lead alone, and I know our team will work cohesively to share with our members what they need to tap the inner workings of their leadership skills to keep our chapter alive and vibrant. 

For a final thought; I fully admit to the dark moments that I find myself skating through as I question the rate of my growth and moments of weighted clarity. Regardless, a leader, a great leader, is not only measured by his or her own list of successes, but by the number of great leaders that have been produced as a result of his/her guidance and mentoring... In which case I can confidently say that although I anticipate my list as a leader will not be shy of remaining incomplete, I must be doing something right... 

*Thank you to my team!* 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Leadership: A New Opportunity

Through the Telescope

Final Countdown 2...