Don't Judge a PD (or Book) by it's Cover...

 This weekend I've spent some time catching up on some reading that I had to put to the side at the start of this school year. For me, changing grade levels and classrooms is nothing short of a challenge, and I know most of my energy is spent the first year in a new grade level organizing, fine-tuning, and developing new curriculum/lesson materials for my students. One of the first things that I sacrifice on my "to do" list is reading and even attending webinars or workshops that I otherwise might not have missed, or insisted I spent the ten extra minutes reading. At first, this might seem logical and necessary, and part of me still knows that it is however, what am I really sacrificing if I don't spend time reading and attending the webinars or workshops I want? 

I've always stood my my belief that teaching is lifelong learning. In order to do that, educators have to find what areas of education "stick" with them the most, and then spend the time and energy learning about it. For me this has always been the three loves of my teaching life- special education, literacy, and teacher leadership. If I want to continue to grow in these areas, learn best practices for my students, and develop further as a leader for other teachers, how can I do that if I put continued learning off to the side? I'll stop you right there... this is not an easy task! We do not have time for everything! I cannot tell you the amount of evenings I lie in my bed tired but yet my mind is racing with all of the things I didn't finish. And then I look over at my unfinished book just waiting for me to pick it up and continue to read it. Reading and learning make me happy so how do I accomplish this? 

I'd be lying if I said this was an easy answer, however, I do feel I gained a perspective this weekend that will help me in the future. Like anything else, I put it on my calendar like it is an appointment or event. I've even started to make sure that I have the tv either off or at least the volume down so I can fully focus on my book. Setting aside this designated time is not any different than if I had a faculty meeting to attend to complete a PD session. By thinking of reading as a designated and necessary time for me as a teacher, I'm finding that I'm sticking with that time more than if I just put it in the back of my mind to do it. 

For my beloved webinars I admit that it's hard for me to simply sit and watch them, yet if I move around too much I miss the information. What I've learned to do is watch them on my iPad as I put my makeup on in the morning. This sounds ridiculous probably however, for me, it makes the most sense. I am doing something else yet the webinar is the only other device that is on at the time, and like a tv, I look at it when I need to and I can focus on what the presenters are saying because I don't need to hyper-focus on my usual routine of getting ready. The point of this is, I found a time when it works for me to listen and watch, yet satisfies my need to do something else. 

Engaging in professional learning, be it through reading, webinars or other, is not a deterrent from my work, and it isn't one for you either my friends. It's what makes us feel more empowered and closer to our profession, while providing us with a sense of accomplishment. 

So with that being said here are are my final thoughts: Keep exploring books and content that appeals to you as teacher. Keep allowing yourself to spend quality time developing you. Keep finding ways to solidify the time you need for these learning endeavors. Keep using calendars, reminders, alarms- whatever it takes! Finally, keep assuring yourself that when you spend time on your own learning, you are in fact spending time on your students as well. The more teachers grow, the more their students will- remember that!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Leadership: A New Opportunity

Through the Telescope

Final Countdown 2...