Classroom Setup: Fresh Start, New Room

 It's that time of year friends! This year I'll be moving back to first grade so that means new students, new standards, new curriculum, lessons, and... a new classroom. This is my third move in my current school that I've had to make, and being a seasoned teacher I must admit... this is tough! It's true that we get comfortable in our spaces and the daily flow of the classroom we are in. I equate this to people who move around a lot, or even our students. The adjustment can be tough, and for me this is the most difficult one I've had so far. 

Getting adjusted to a new landscape of a classroom always throws me off at first. I think I even walked into the closet door the other day because in my old room, that's not where the closet was! When. you're not changing rooms it's easier because you can always leave some things where they are, but this year I'm unpacking everything from my Home Depot bins, and frankly, I don't recall where anything is! This is my own personal carousel of chaos, and my slight OCD is in full effect! 

Thankfully I've heard many great podcasts on the Literacy Leadership podcast, where Dr. Terrie Noland challenges me to reframe my thinking. This isn't my attempt to diminish the real and raw feelings we feel as teachers going through this process. I go through my moments (very often) throughout the day where I feel defeated, upset and anxious if I'll be done in time. I am however, looking at this as an opportunity to have a clean slate to work with and truly transform my room into the best classroom it can be. I'm also lucky to have my co-teacher by my side to keep my feet on the ground, joke around with and support me. It has truly highlighted both of our strengths more than ever going through this process together. 

If you happen to be in the same boat as us this year, I encourage you to reframe your thinking for the move. What about this move can you use to your advantage to start fresh? How can you transform your room into a space where you feel excited to enter everyday? It's not selfish to think about yourself and not just your students while you go through this process. You are what makes the difference, so you have to be happy! 

Final thoughts: Keep your head held high- you're a teacher who is making a difference! Keep taking breaks to think through how you want your room to be. Keep dreaming big! You might not have a "Pinterest" classroom, but it will be yours and reflect your style! Keep thinking of the opportunity this will bring you to start fresh this year and start a whole new adventure! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Leadership: A New Opportunity

Through the Telescope

Final Countdown 2...