Differentiating Up: Considering our Students Who Need More

 Today my blog comes from a personal place in my heart. As a special education teacher, differentiating instruction for my students with learning diversities has been something I've prided myself on for most of my career. I pride myself on the ability to differentiate the same homework assignment up to five different ways so all students have access. I spend a considerable amount of time reviewing assessments for the math curriculum to make sure it reflects exact skills taught from the lesson. 

Then I sit back and think to myself, "what more can I do?" I know I am doing my best, and please believe me for all my new(er) teachers out there, learning how to differentiate and thinking creatively does not come quickly or easily. I myself am still learning how to improve this part of my craft and include new ideas and technologies to help. For me, the most common group I neglect are my above-level students. 

As I shared before I do offer challenge level work to students who would like to try, and additional opportunities to learn called "sidequests." I know that my students in class who need challenged also need more. This is where I employ the talents of my co-teacher and we have conversations about what possibilities there are for them. One idea we've been thinking of is having the students take on a "sidequest" project where they create and share a math-based research question for the week and present it. I also like tying in history and literature always, so I was thinking have them read and research a famous person in history to create a "window to the past" project and share the biography of this person. It also reflects the concepts we study in Unit 5 for Reading Workshop in the spring. 

So, what's the problem you ask? It seems like there isn't one since we already have some ideas in mind. The problem is, these projects do require some work on our part to help create and provide materials. Time is always the issue when it comes to creating extra projects, adding in elements to lessons such as Pear Deck or EdPuzzle. Yet, one could argue, that's where the prime moments are to differentiate! 

I think for me it's a matter of time management as a teacher. I know that this needs to be done, and I've solidified in my mind that I am going to do this. I need to work my schedule and create the time, space, and place to complete these ideas and get them ready for my students. It's a challenge (my own differentiation for myself,) for sure, but I know how important it is. This weekend I carved out time to get most of my work done for the first half of the week, so I can use Monday and Tuesday as time to work on creating some of these project write-ups, instructions, gather materials etc. 

Just like I go into auto pilot for differentiating for my students who need support, practice will make improvement (notice I did not say perfect, because there is no such thing,) with extending concepts for the students who need that something extra. Lesson here is this: even veteran teachers need to have "pep talks" to help get them going to work on something. We always have room for improvement, and a lot to learn as teachers. 

Final Thoughts: Keep thinking outside the box for differentiation. Keep all learners in mind, not just students who are struggling with a subject/concept. Keep working to manipulate time around to include creating work for students who need a challenge. Keep saying "this is worth it for those kids!" and finally, Keep in mind: teaching is lifelong learning. We will always continue to grow and change along with our craft, and improve our work. Practice makes improvement! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Leadership: A New Opportunity

Through the Telescope

Final Countdown 2...