New Lens on Writing Workshop: Part 3- To Confer is the Way...

 Notice something missing in the title? Although it's early in the year, I decided to change the title slightly now that we are well underway with our school year. Although the title has transformed, the purpose of my blog today hasn't! I am excited to share the next topic in my mini-series on Writing Workshop. 

This month I am taking a four-part workshop through Heinemann with conferring guru Carl Anderson! Prior to the first session, I started conferring with my students on their first writing pieces. I admit that conferring makes me nervous because I don't feel confident in my abilities to confer the "correct" way. I found out through my first workshop day that I was even using a term incorrectly (hand slap to the forehead...) What I am learning through this process is exactly this... it is a process for everyone. 

During conferences I've been trying to have students lead the way with their writing by asking them a few simple but important questions: How is your writing going so far? and What can I help you with for your piece? Now you might be saying to yourself, for the littles (specifically my second grade students,) those questions might be too open ended. The truth is, for some students, I've found they can be, at least at first. What I did for those moments was model for them how I would respond to the question if I were asked. I also reinforced to them that I am their writing/thinking partner and I truly want to help them with their writing, not just make corrections. 

Now that we are moving on to our second writing piece, I see a change in my students already. When they come to me for a conference, they are ready to share with me what they wrote, or begin a discussion on what they need. I'm finding that students who feel more shy or reluctant to answer my questions want to read their piece to me first. In letting them share what they wrote, it acts like a refresher. When I ask them what I can help them with, more students this week found something they want to work on than the week before. 

Another question that I've been asking during conferring is "and what else?" One of our mini-lessons focused on reviewing our work as authors to ask "what else can I add in to my piece?" So one of the things I wanted to emphasize in conferring was keeping this question in mind as we revise together as partners. I also used points from another mini-lesson on talking as writing to help with this. I ask students "and what else?" and most have eagerly began to talk. I smile and said "great, now write it down!" Emphasizing to young writers that talking is indeed writing has been a great support to them, and has taken down the walls  they put up when it comes to writing. 

Although I have much to learn, and I cannot wait watch Carl this week in action, I know that I am learning the important aspects of Writing Workshop slowly but surely. Much like my students are learning about themselves as authors, I'm learning about myself as a teacher, and their writing/thinking partners. 

Final Thoughts: Keep modeling for your students how to think aloud and write, you are their greatest resource. Keep asking you writers questions, and let them respond in their own way to open up. Keep emphasizing talking is writing, because for our young writers, it truly is! Finally, keep your own confidence up and let students know you're working to learn right along with them. It allows them to see your vulnerability and feel welcomed to try something new with their writing. 

For more great resources on Writing Workshop, use the link above for Heinemann. It's been my support system along the way! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Leadership: A New Opportunity

Through the Telescope

Final Countdown 2...