The Co-Op Classroom: Part 2 Engines Ready!

 Now that our co-op has officially begun, (and admittedly I did not get a chance to write last week,) I am excited to share with you updates! My new co-op and I have been hard at work with our discussions, plans, and learning new technology to implement in the classroom. I also admit that I too am learning about new interactive tools that can help my students successfully learn the material we cover in class! It just goes to show that being a cooperating teacher does not mean you know more than your student teacher or know everything, but rather you are a guide who has the experience with different teaching elements that he/she may not have had yet. It's the storytelling and genuine connection you make with each other that makes it a great learning experience for all. 

My co-op and I have been speaking once or twice a week since we started two weeks ago. I get to hear about the different assignments she has to complete, and I've been sharing updates with what my students have been up to during the week, what lessons we have moved on to, what skills my students need additional review time and support it- you. name it! We work together to select a subject, then a skill set and/or strategies to work on.

Recently I learned from my co-op about a few new websites that I'm excited to try out, and use for differentiated instruction and interactive learning. We worked together on creating content for a math review of money with Blooket, and a contractions worksheet in Wizer. Creating these materials to have as a spiral review is helpful for students who had difficulty learning the material and need additional practice. I've shared with my co-op different games and activities I've used as spiral review, so this activity was perfect! We agreed that the students will have fun while they learn about the concept they need support in. This week, my co-op. also made a great worksheet in Wizer that will support our grammar concepts in writing. Since the worksheet is interactive, students will be involved in the learning process of this new grammar skill, rather than passively absorb the material through my presentation of it. The best way to learn how to write is to be actively engaged with it- applying it right away is a "hook" to applying this skill all the time in writing. 

One of the best things I'm enjoying about our co-op is the time I get to spend with my student teacher talking about the students in class and how we as teachers play such a vital role in their lives. I'm enjoying this experience so far, as I'm able to do my own self-reflection through out discussions. My co-op is challenging me in new and exciting ways, and I am sharing my long-term perspectives.

I can't wait to see what this week brings us, and to share an update with all of you! 

Final Thoughts:  Keep being who you are as a teacher and a co-op; relationships that are authentic make for the best classrooms. Keep sharing ideas with one another- it's never a bad time to get creative! For my veteran teachers... keep supporting the future teachers, we have plenty to learn from them to stay relevant and informed! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Leadership: A New Opportunity

Through the Telescope

Final Countdown 2...