Culture of Leadership

If you are interested in leadership as much as I am, then you'd appreciate Todd Whitaker's perspective on leadership. 

Oftentimes we tend to blame "school culture" as the root problem for many things from failing test scores, student behaviors, and teacher morale. What is really being described is the leadership culture. What happens in our school relies more on the leaders than anyone or anything else. 

If you're considering moving into a leadership position, my previous words can, and should be a bit jaunting. The truth is, that well, they are true. Leaders have a tremendous responsibility on their shoulders, and it's vital to know this before embarking on a journey toward becoming a leader. Despite the weight of this responsibility, there is a beauty to it that is rewarding. 

Todd Whitaker states "when there's a highly effective culture, there's a highly effective leader" and same is true in reverse. Leadership energy is best spent on supporting the teachers who have a positive, infectious energy that others often envy. Teachers who care should not be ignored, but lifted up and encouraged. This shows them that leaders appreciate and support their hard work, and challenges those who are not motivated to 

It's also true that great leaders seek out teachers who are more knowledgeable in particular areas they may not be. I know I always reach out to other teachers (and for KDP, my officers) who have talents, insights, and experiences that I do not. That is what has helped me to grow as a leader the most. Secondly, it's observing others whom I consider leaders and how they handle situations. 

What I appreciated about Todd Whitaker when I heard him speak was how he praises the work of teachers who are motivated and the "superstars" of their buildings, especially if they are not recognized, or worse, expected to make others better in their craft when that is the role of the principal. This is where the negative culture can start. As a teacher/teacher-leader, it's also a wake-up call to where my potential weaknesses might be, and I feel challenged to change my views. Saying it like it is, Todd Whitaker defines "average" teachers vs. "the best" teachers, and how they often hear negativity for their work because they make others look bad. Having a leader that says "everyone is great" can indeed be detrimental because it does not motivate the high-achieving leaders to continue to strive, when those who don't are equally praised. 

As a leader, I am constantly learning how to be the best I can be and adjust with every situation that comes across my path. The change is what makes me better and grow. I rely on other leaders to pave the way for me to learn more about the effects of good leadership and the culture it creates. I'm grateful for the influential leaders that have inspired me. 

Final Thoughts: Keep looking at yourself as a leader in the mirror, keep examining your leadership culture, keep observing the leadership culture of others, keep accepting responsibility for what you need to as a leader- others will thank you for it!

Check out this great podcast!: Teach me Teacher Episode 119-What Great Educators do Differently with Todd Whitaker pt. 1. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Leadership: A New Opportunity

Through the Telescope

Final Countdown 2...