Walking with Why

On my routine walk today I did some reflecting. I usually take my walks to help me sort my thoughts, make mental to-do lists, (a personal favorite) and to think about projects I'm working on, while dreaming of the next one to follow. Perhaps this is a bad habit, but I'd like to think this is where the creativity is sparked and the next possible adventure could start. Today was no exception when a particular thought came to mind. 

Admittedly,  I have not read Simon Sinek's book Start With Why (https://simonsinek.com/) however his work is not new to me either. I actually heard about his work in a sermon series my (amazing) parish had. It was at that mass I reflected on my "why" as a teacher. During Readers' Workshop training this fall, our trainer and thinking partner always had us return and reflect back on our "why" to keep the work authentic. I feel over time I've developed my "why" further with each passing year in the classroom. With each new dynamic, zestful group of littles, how can I not?  

About a mile into the mid-day (and might I add searing, summer-sun, humid,) walk, I wondered, how often do teachers allow themselves to find the "why" in their career beyond the magic they create daily for the students they teach?

At a recent end-of-the-year group activity we were asked to share a proud moment we experienced despite the pandemic. Predictably, everyone mentioned a moment where they were interacting with a student, or observed students collaborate together through virtual platforms,  they figured out new technology, or when a student went out of his or her way to thank them. No one mentioned anything outside of this box. Irrefutably, this is an organic response woven into the teacher fibers of our hearts and work that our joy is sourced from our students' best moments. It is simply unavoidable given it is what we wake up each morning intending to do. 

In the same token, educators reiterate the well known actuality that their personal interests and achievements are often overlooked by others, both in and outside the education field. Feasibly, this might be due to the opaque view most have upon our work, or that they simply see teachers as, well, just that... 

This brought me to question, are we preconditioned as educators to automatically assume our only achievements exist within the four walls of the classroom? Or is it the notion that a goal not linking directly to the classroom isn't as conceivably relevant to our work? Maybe it's our selfless nature to dismiss our own goals and accomplishments because we truly care about every student that passes through our doors. Or dangerously, all three...?

I can only attest to my own opinions, knowledge, and experiences; which reconnects with finding my "why." If educators decide to only determine their purpose is the daily work, there is nothing wrong with that, however I fear the burnout and even possible resentment could be the receipt in exchange for being altruistic. 

I've always made it a point in my professional life to further sub-divide my work into professional, and personal-professional areas with goals to expand my knowledge, study topics in education that interest me, and follow my GPS to new avenues that could lead to many possibilities. Having work outside the classroom keeps me updated and relevant, while exploring other areas in the field I have passion for. 

One might state that my "why" is only for my own gain, however I do not view it from that angle. In order to be the best version of myself as a teacher, I need know and understand myself as one. Broadening my scope is the recipe for being better in the classroom. To some it's a scenic route, but for me it's a direct line to where I want to be, and who I want to be in this industry. 

Who do I want to be? I strive to be the best teacher, leader, mentor, life-long learner, and supporter to both students and other educators; so, when my students have their "ah ha moment" with a difficult concept, another teacher thanks me for listening and giving my advice, or telling them a story about a similar situation they can relate to, I know at that point I've fulfilled my true purpose for what I do, and have shed light on my "why" while interlocking it with my teacher-self for others to notice. It is by doing this, I detail my "why" so others may reach down within themselves to find their own... 

Always keep an eye on your "why," revise, edit, extend your ingredients that compose it, and you will never loose your purpose as an educator...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Leadership: A New Opportunity

Through the Telescope

Final Countdown 2...