Finding a Community: First Steps, or Keep Walking the Path!

 This week as we "spring ahead" with our time and adjust to the change let's take some time to appreciate all of the great educator groups and communities that are out there, and celebrate them! 

I know I speak of communities frequently throughout my blogs and other posts on social media, but I've been working a lot lately with these groups and preparing to do a special podcast series discussion with my friends at Learning Ally's Educator Community.  I do hope you join me in the discussion of the riveting podcast "Sold a Story!" 

I always tell my preservice and early educators to network with others in educational organizations and find communities. This may seem like a challenge at first, and many ask "where do I start?" I say the best place to start is with social media platforms such as Twitter and Facebook. There are many groups already connected through there you can belong to and you do not have to "add" any more logins, accounts, or apps to check. The best part is they are free! 

Now, do not let cost deter you my friends. I have to admit that I spend a lot each year on my memberships with different organizations but... they are well worth it! Throughout my own career, I've made amazing friends, established great connections, and found places to call "home" in teaching. The support I've been given has even gone beyond the classroom: people have reached out to me to check in on me and offer words of wisdom or comfort when I needed it most. Being a part of these groups has helped me grow professionally and have my work recognized. As educators, these are the interactions that we need, whether or not we realize it at times. 

Whether it is an informal group or large organization, use the resources to the maximum! Belonging to these communities offers the connections that we seek and need, but we also have to feel our professional needs and goals are being met as well. It can be hard to determine what groups would be most beneficial so my suggestion is to think first what you are most passionate about in teaching; such as technology, leadership, literacy, etc., then find the groups harness these and focus on core values that match your own, and even challenge your thinking! 

It's because of my involvement with communities that I have been able to grow myself as a teacher leader, and "break into" the world of education beyond my school and district. Meeting other educators from around the world is the first step in the direction of growth and a wonderful lifelong journey of learning. 

Our communities will always be there for us, help us elevate our practice, bring us on new adventures, and lift us as professionals to new heights. Already part of communities? Challenge yourself this week to reach out to one new person, add a comment to a post, check out a new resource, or recommend the community to one new educator friend!


Here is a list of some organizations/groups to consider: 

KDP- Honor Society and Professional Organization in Education (pre-service and early educators are the primary focus, however seasoned teachers can get involved and "pay it forward: to the next generation of teaches.)

  • ASCD- educational leadership
  • ILA- International Literacy Association 
  • ISTE- International Society for Technology Education (merging with ASCD)
  • CEC- Council for Exceptional Children- (special education. There are state level groups and divisions to belong to!) 
  • The Reading League- many chapters throughout the US! 
  • Learning Ally- audiobook solution company. Join the Learning Ally Educator Community if you love literacy! 
  • NCTE- National Council for Teachers of English
  • NCTM- National Council for Teachers of Math
  • NCTS- National Council for Teachers of Science
  • NCTH- National Council for Teachers of History
  • IDA- International Dyslexia Association 
And there are more friends! Feel free to reach out to me with any suggestions, and let's connect on social media to keep the discussion going! 

Final Thoughts: Keep reaching out to others and belong to a community. Keep networking and expanding your network. Keep your participation in organizations and groups alive- not only will you help someone out, but you will receive support back! Finally, keep in your mind the idea that you do have others to turn to, and we are all in this together! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Leadership: A New Opportunity

Through the Telescope

Final Countdown 2...