Figuring Out Routines: Not Just for Students

 Now that the first week of school is over,  I've been thinking about many things. I'm sure we are all feeling the emotions of the start of the school year, and we have many ideas floating around. I asked myself this weekend "what is a top priority at this time?" Immediately the word "routines" popped into my head. 

The first few weeks of school are all about routines and classroom management. I'm noticing this year that many of my usual routines have to be altered in some way due to the size of my classroom, the number of students I have in my class, and my students' unique personalities and needs. My co-teacher and I talk frequently about adjusting, and how we can execute a routine more efficiently. This of course has come with some confusion to my class, especially if we tried a routine a few times and the students became familiar with it. At times I feel frustrated because I want the routine to fit and work perfectly. I have to constantly remind myself that these things take time, and although I have patience for my students, I often run out of patience with myself if I forget a new routine, or I forget a step in one. 

Offering this personal forgiveness is harder than forgiving others, especially our students. We expect so much of ourselves that we forget each year is a new year for us and a new learning curve. I've also noticed that classroom routines are not the only ones that we need to get used to and adjust during a new school year.  Other routines such as prep time, before and after school time, as well as what to work on at home has been a challenge for me to sort  so far. What I decided to do was use my notebook again to write down all of the things I know need to be completed and start with one task until it is finished. Now more than ever has this been helpful! 

Establishing and sticking to routines isn't a challenge for students only for sure, but once we figure out what are the priorities and how to do we approach doing them, the sorting does become easier. I also feel more accomplished when I cross things off my list (my list-keepers are smiling now, so virtual high-five!) It's not a waste of time to take time and think about what the routines are, what the priorities are, and how to get organized. This is a great example to our students that we don't always have all the answers, and learning is a process that needs time, energy, care, and consideration. 

Final Thoughts: routines were not made for a one-and-done practice. Keep considering routines from all angles/perspectives to see what can be changed and what will be kept. Keep communicating to other teachers about routines to get ideas and feedback. Keep practicing the routines with your students and watch the mastery happen. Keep looking at your own routines as an educator, and reflect on what works and what needs a change. Keep an open mind to trying new ways to run a routine, bot with yourself and with your students. Keep reaching out for support and success. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Leadership: A New Opportunity

Through the Telescope

Final Countdown 2...