Sailing Through Summer Part 3: Find Your Pod

 In the summertime one of the things I enjoy doing is meeting up with colleagues. This could be a lunch date, phone call, FaceTime/Zoom, or even go back to school shopping together. The past few years I've selected summer reading books to read with colleagues or teacher friends, and we had informal book clubs (and we've also done this throughout the year too!)  

Summer also provides time to attended professional development (or in my case sometimes, presenting at PD.) In my opinion, the best part of any workshop is the people with whom you share the time with. Last week I attended a two-day workshop summit that was just the ticket I needed to feel re-energized and ready to start the new school year. Although I would've enjoyed taking this workshop in any style or format because I enjoy learning about the topic, I realized the time spent with my grade level team talking about writing workshop, sharing ideas, and creating curriculum was the highlight of the day. 

I admit that right around this time during summer I tend to get into a routine for my day. I always have the thought of my school schedule in the back of my mind, but at the same time, I enjoy my "new" schedule. Meeting up with colleagues (formally or informally) is the jolt I need to keep on track and start to think about the upcoming year. I use this time as an opportunity to select the topics I want to discuss, or the books we all want to read, explore webinars, podcasts, and chat about them as I clean my house. 

Keeping in touch with peers is a way to frame the mindset that you're not completely cut off from school, however, you're also not on a direct schedule all day (and night.) It's the perfect blend of taking a break, yet staying connected, which in my opinion, is key to being ready for back to school.

Final thoughts: keep connecting with colleagues during the summer. Keep the ideas flowing. Keep selecting topics that interest you (and your fellow teachers.) Finally, keep having fun while feeling prepared! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Leadership: A New Opportunity

Through the Telescope

Final Countdown 2...