Sailing Through Summer Part 2: Let the Planning Begin!

 As we enter into early August, there's no time like the present to begin thinking about the upcoming school year. If you're starting your first year of teaching or you're changing schools, grade levels, and/or subjects, you might be wondering "Where do I start?" I've been there, and in fact I'm changing grade levels again for this new school year also. As many times as I've done this I still ask myself the same question every time. Then of course, I revert back to the starting line... vision.

Although there is no right or wrong way to begin planning your new year, (even if you do not have a change) I personally feel we all have to have an overall vision of what we want it to look like, and for me, this starts with my classroom itself. It is after all where we we live for most of the day, and we should be happy with it. Changing classrooms, schools, or grades is an opportunity for a clean slate (and again even if you're not moving, don't hesitate to start over on your own!) I enjoy looking through different catalogs and websites for new ideas for decorations. And we all know the rabbit hole of social media... This may seem trivial however mapping out the classroom is a crucial piece, and should be done ahead of time. Here are some questions to consider: 

  • Do I want a theme? If so what will my theme be? 
  • Will my theme impact what furniture I use? 
  • What furniture pieces do I have, and where will they go? 
  • What is my back up plan if the furniture doesn't work with my initial setup idea? 
  • What can I get rid of to save space? 
  • What needs to be replaced or repaired? 
  • How will I incorporate my theme appropriately throughout the classroom while providing my students with opportunities to contribute to the classroom decor? 
  • What else do I think I'll need to design a space I love? 


These are some of the questions I focus on first while planning. There are many more to consider, and I'd love to hear some of them! My advice is to not underestimate the importance of planning the classroom. Others may say curriculum, plans, lists etc. come first. We are all different, and if those need to be a focus first, great! Consider starting with the large picture and move down to the narrow more detailed aspects of restarting the school year. As a veteran teacher I can attest to that plan working for me. 

Final thoughts: keep the large ideas in mind. Keep your focus on your path, not someone else's. Keep using the time now in summer to think of themes and other ideas that will make you excited for the new school year ahead. When we are excited, so are our students! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Leadership: A New Opportunity

Through the Telescope

Final Countdown 2...