The New Modifications Part 4

Hello everyone and welcome to my fourth blog in my mini-series about modifications! There is still so much more to cover on this topic! I'm excited to include a few more modifications today in the series, and I hope that my posts have offered guidance and clarity if you are working on implementing modifications this year in your classroom (whatever that may look like!) 

In a conversation with a teacher friend the other day, I was asked what are a few things I've seen improve since the start of the school year, and what "must-dos" or "must-haves" will I not part with. After I reflected I realized that we have come a long way since September, when none of my students 

My virtual classroom has benefited from consistency with routines and using activities frequently to have my students learn the technology to complete them. I remember at the start of the school year students had difficulty accessing Pear Deck slides during class. Some never made it to the presentation, others could not use the code or navigate away from the link. Still others managed to get there however just watched and did not understand that they could (and should) participate in the presentation. Now, all of my students are able to access the link, arrive at the presentation, and participate. It took two solid months of weekly practice, tutorials, family support, and repeated instructions with steps broken down. I am delighted that my class is enjoying interactive learning sessions and has gained courage in trying to get there. 

Secondly review of Google Classroom, the different sections, other learning platforms, rules and directions have aided in students gaining independence and displaying positive behaviors. They rely on our morning meeting (mostly conducted by my co-teacher) to start the day with consistency. 

These thoughts inspired me to discuss two important modifications that we need to implement in all learning environments: 

1. Visuals- With every direction, written instruction, activity, and concept I make sure there are plenty of visuals for the students. From still pictures to demonstrating in real time, students need to see what they will be asked to do/complete, and have a visual cue to guide them in the right direction. As we know, not all visual cues work for each student. Knowing which students benefit from looking at a picture, graphic with steps, or seeing a video they can pause is important, and teachers need to include as many as they are able to.  I know this is time consuming so. my suggestions would be to look for pre-made images and videos you can use, as well, ask your team to help you! If you work with your grade level team to create videos, the work can be divided up and shared with all students in the grade who require this modification. Viewing this from another perspective, students also need to have the opportunity to use pictures to help them communicate. One great example of this is in writing. In virtual learning sessions this can be tricky, so my suggestion would be to have them use their "go to" of pencil and paper before using a technology tool. Class Dojo is great for younger students to draw, and you can create an assignment for them in their portfolios. Other tools for students could be using Power Points or Google Slides. 


2. Small Groups- This modification has been an obstacle challenge that I honestly am still trying to work through myself for so many reasons. For younger students, small group intervention can be a key in their learning. Breakout rooms in Zoom have presented many challenges for this, especially in the classroom management department. I have been blessed to have several other teachers in the class with me at the same time to run small groups. For those who do not have support or co-teachers, I can understand perfectly why you might be hesitant about having students in a breakout room alone. I know I would! On days when I am alone, I ask students to lower their volume and work on independent work while I meet with a group of students, or even offer others a short break so my group can focus. So far, my students have said that at times it can be noisy, however if they have another device to work on at home it's helpful so they can hear that volume and still check in to make sure they aren't missing a direction from me. Other options I've heard teachers do is ask a student's family member to be the moderator of a room if they would like to volunteer and are familiar with Zoom breakout rooms. 

Please share out your experiences and knowledge so we all collaborate with one another to figure out the secrets of success to breakout rooms! Nonetheless working with students in small groups is still relevant to what we do in the virtual setting, and remains beneficial. We as teachers always figure out how to make it work. 


Final Thoughts: Keep thinking outside the box for breakout rooms, keep showing visuals to help students see what's expected of them, keep collaborating with others to decrease front loading of work, keep sharing resources for how to make modifications work... our students are depending on us! 


Stay tuned for the fifth and final post in my mini-blog series on modifications! Although I could write forever on the many more unmentioned modifications, my goal for my final post will focus on how to truly tie in family members as teachers, as well as spark their interest in applying the modifications for their child/children at home! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Leadership: A New Opportunity

Through the Telescope

Final Countdown 2...