Replay of Podcast Notebook

I thought I'd take some time to do a replay of two podcasts I've highly enjoyed listening to on my walks this week. I took the liberty in skimming through them again and taking notes. Most are direct quotes from the host and guests ( I want to make sure correct credit is given to these amazing people!) I personally made many connections between the two. I feel that the overlay of each was similar in that the guests were both researchers/scientists that are invested in supporting educators with core knowledge that we as educators need to hear. Although Daniel Willingham focused more on aspects of reading, and Jared Horvath focused more on applying research, conclusions can be drawn from both. 
Feel free to skim my notes, take your own, find what sticks out to you as an educator, and then let's compare our thinking! 
*Please note that although I dedicated time to editing and revising, my intent here was to present exactly what I meant: notes. Not all of what I composed included complete thoughts, but rather short phrases and ideas that connected together for me as I listened. I typically do not write in formats like these, however, I feel the beauty of these ideas are resonated in this style of writing, and sticks even more closely to what the speakers actually shared.* 

Amplify Science of Reading, July 15th, 2020 #25- A conversation with Daniel Willingham 
The education you undergo as a teacher can't prepare you for everything- we make decisions based on beliefs about our students, what basic science can do is help you think about that more deeply and richly and help shape that mental model of a learner in a way that is going to be more true to experience. When you become certified to teach what exactly do you learn?  Core beliefs are there until proven otherwise. It's not actionable in any obvious way, instead it gives you the background knowledge. You'll be drawing on that in small ways in many situations. Many haven't had the basic science of reading in college. When you become certified to teach what do you learn? Social Studies teachers share they were never expected to take reading courses. Daniel wrote a book in response to this: Book When Can You Trust the Experts... heard from teachers the frustrations; how you can tell if it's decent science and when can you trust it or not. Science/research is often used as a cudgel to do things often administrators who was on a hobby horse want, and get all teachers on board and enact some strategy in classroom- experienced teachers are questioning it and it's when the phrase "all the research supports it" is used. However, they listen and get the overwhelming sense it's not right. There's no time to dig up research, teachers are not researchers so it might not make sense. You're evaluating the likely-hood something was research based without reading all of the research = shortcut. Educational practitioners go to school to learn your practice, educated in what is presumably the most updated methods and then you're in practice and research is marching on- what you learn in school is outdated, how do you know if that happens. Medicine is the same but they created institutions that make sure they have access to reliable summaries of research. People are designated to do the research, education leaves teachers to fend for themselves on this score, some notion that it's part of being a professional. It's expected that teachers will all day, then read journal articles all night, that is wrong. Candidates for this would be organizations- and often you have to pay for the articles. Still, organizations could and should take this on for teachers- it's an ideal solution. 

Teach me Teacher; June 2, 2019, #115, Science to Make your Message Stick with Jared Horvath part. 1. 
Teachers aren't always educated on what the research says about how the brain works and what kids need to make connections, SEL education. We don't need to be therapists, but be aware of what's going on. Everything scientists/researchers do is in a lab, is all predicated on learning. Too often that gets conflated with teaching, knowing how someone learns and knowing how to teach them, are two very different things. Teachers feel browbeaten and under respected; they feel someone must have the answer and tell me how to do my job- pushback eventually occurs. After 15 years studying academia, Jared states: nobody knows how to teach other than teachers- one can be around the best learning scientists in the world and they cant't teach a kid how to throw a ball, they don't know the tips and tools. They can't transfer it to some one else. Teachers, don't get frustrated about the research, it's conceptual, it's meant to help think differently about our job but never is it supposed to tell us how to do our job. If you go to a PD and someone tells you I'm a neuroscientist, and you should do these things... leave that's not their job. You know how to teach, we know how to learn, let's bring the two together. 

Are you "wowed" like me? Check your notes and see what we have in common! 

Humorously I thought, I've been saying some of these exact points since 2004 (and I am nowhere near the status of Daniel and Jared,) when I questioned my education program why teachers are not allowed nor expected to take courses in neuroscience!?! We work directly with the brains of our growing students, yet we rely on others to study it. (scratching head...) It doesn't make an ounce of sense to me. Oh, but the solution is after workin for 8+ hours a day, with a second shift of work to do in the evening, I should happily drink a 24 oz Starbucks to pull an all-nighter to read and research articles myself... (anyone else sarcastically grinning with me?) Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love to read books, articles, listen to podcasts, network, and attend PD to extend my learning about teaching. In fact, if I could spend my time in PD all day I think I would! But the reality is that the wave is so large, so deep, and traveling so fast, there's no way to keep up with it. I've made the conscious decision to join organizations such as KDP, (my favorite of course!) ASCD, CEC, ILA, IDA, and I'm thinking of joining ISTE as well after a wonderful experience with their summer learning academy. I rely on others, such as these organizations to provide me with the research, and realize that much of what I read is from other teachers too. We rely on each other for the updates. Not everyone chooses to join these organizations and pay for information, so how do we continue to inform those educators? Perhaps this question is more open-ended than we think. 

I firmly believe there has to be a better solution, (and yes I'm buying both Jared and Daniel's books!) that we can apply to help bridge the gap. I think firstly, teachers should have some exposure to neuroscience classes during their degrees, and continued professional development. I also that that our work needs to be more specifically defined. I appreciate the fact my first license allows me to teach grades K-12, however in no way, shape or form would I feel prepared enough to teach middle school. Elementary teacher preparation programs need to provide classes for teaching all subject matters, including SEL (social and emotional learning) and CRTL (culturally responsive teaching and leading.) I had to return for my first M.A. degree to take courses in "how to teach science" because my B.A. was tiered for English. I also feel that having research developing programs for teachers to take/participate in and continue after graduation would allow them to stay close to what is new and relevant, and perhaps some would opt to stay in the research field in general. These possible networks would offer teachers that do not join professional organizations connections to research. 

I know I tend to dream big, however, I stand by my thoughts, because I have "research to support my ideas" from scientists themselves. I'd love to continue this conversation with others, form a PLN/study group to figure out how we can understand research better, and discuss applications that are reasonable for classroom practice. Also, of course, how this research can and will be reflected in our current learning environments with uncertainties. If this resonates with you, please reach out to me! 

Final thoughts: Let us do the teaching, don't be harsh to yourself and others, we are all learning together, keep learning, keep listening to great podcasts, keep reading, keep thinking of great ideas! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Leadership: A New Opportunity

Through the Telescope

Final Countdown 2...